It is basically a piece of writing which consists of a series of sentences that are linked in order to develop a single main idea. You need to present the main idea at the beginning of the first paragraph. The main purpose of the first paragraph in a research paper is to make the reader familiar with the topic selection for research. The first paragraph which is a topic sentence in research paper consists of approx Two hundred and fifty words.
A paragraph is a section of text that usually contains one clear idea. Every sentence in your essay should be relevant to the paper and fit into the central theme or purpose, but how you organize those sentences will vary based on what kind of material you’re writing about. Every paragraph in a paper should be:
- Unified: all the sentences relate to one central point or idea.
- Coherent: the sentences are logically organized and clearly connected.
- Relevant: the paragraph supports the overall theme and purpose of the paper.
- Well-developed: Every point made in the paragraph should be sufficiently described and backed by facts and details that work together to explain the paragraph’s main point.
Importance of structuring paragraph in research paper
- The paragraph structure in a research paper is very much essential as it enables you to present your ideas in a logical manner.
- Proper paragraph structuring helps in avoiding confusion and misunderstandings.
- It is the clear structure of the first paragraph in a research paper that provides the reader with guidance throughout the research
- Proper structuring of a paragraph is very much important in order to develop a positive impression on the reader. A proper structure of a paragraph helps in developing an interest in reading among readers.
Structure of paragraph
A paragraph in a research paper consists of three parts, that are:
1. Topic sentence
In a topic sentence, you need to state one main idea related to your research.
- At the beginning of the paragraph, insert the topic sentence and any other sentences that provide background information or serve as a transition.
- While writing the topic sentence you should put the important information in the beginning.
2. Supporting sentences
- Here, you need to provide a clear and detailed explanation about the idea which you have stated above.
- In addition to this, here you should provide proof and examples. This will provide the reader with ease in developing an understanding of the logic behind the idea.
- You need to provide an explanation of your idea.
- Students should demonstrate the way your idea is relevant.
3. Conclusive sentences
- Summarize the links between the material presented in the body of the paragraph and the controlling notion of the paragraph.
- It is a section where you should summarize your main idea.
- This is the section where you need to highlight the important facts.
- A bridge phrase that introduces the next paragraph or section of the document may also be included.
Read Also: Formulating Good Research Questions
Use of new paragraph
You should begin a new paragraph whenever you address a new topic, argument, or issue. The new paragraph can be utilized in a different case:
- You can utilize new paragraphs for presenting unique ideas every time.
- You can utilize a new paragraph in a research paper for writing different topics.
- Students can also use new paragraphs for providing information about new facts or making a comparison between two things. Especially in the case of quantitative research, you can easily make a comparison between two data set in a new paragraph.
- In a research paper, a separate paragraph is utilized for presenting the research paper introduction and research paper conclusion.
- If in the case of the literature review in a research paper when the paragraph is too lengthy you can split them in two for making it readable and under stable by the reader.